Wednesday 12 March 2014

Sal kantha - outer borders

I have finished the outer eye-shaped border with kantha stitches using 2 strands of black stranded cotton thread.
                                           

The next step is to complete the outer triangle border and hook things at the tip of the triangle with kantha stitches using 2 strands of black thread.For this as I said earlier we need to plan a stitch route.
                                           

I started from one end of triangle which is indicated by an arrow in the above image,took a couple of stitches to reach the tip of the triangle, finished the hook thing on both sides ,then worked a couple of stitches on the other slanting side of the triangle and repeated the same plan to complete the entire border.
You don't have to follow the same route.Please go ahead and choose one which you think the best route.The only criteria here is you should be able to complete the border without leaving a longer passing thread.

Will be back next wednesday with some filling stitches :)
Happy stitching!
Anita.

12 comments:

Jeito Mineiro de Ser said...

Que trabalho interessante!
Sigo o andamento com curiosidade!
Um abraço!
What an interesting job!
Follow the progress with curiosity!
Hugs!
Egléa

Séverine said...

Your SAL Kantha is going to be beautiful, is it too late to join the SAL?

Anita said...

@ Séverine - No,it's not late..you can join us if you are interested.Please let me know.

JennyPennyPoppy said...

Your design and kantha stitching is looking wonderful. I'm too busy to join but I look forward to seeing the progress you make.

Unknown said...

This is perfect for me. I am working on making my stitches smaller and consistent. Having a point of reference from the photo really helps. Thanks for this opportunity.

Séverine said...

I am very interested in your SAL and I'll be very pleased to join it. Thank you to accept me.

Anita said...

@ Séverine - I don't know your e-mail id ,please either leave it here in a comment or send me an e-mail and I'll send the pattern.

nsangheetha said...

Hi Anita,
I have stitched the first step and in progress on the second. Will post a photo tomorrow
Thanks for the SAL.

Séverine said...

Hello Anita
My email is:
allais.severine@orange.fr
Have a good day!

Gembirdie said...

Hi Anita!

Just finished to stitch the curlicues - it was astonishingly difficult to keep them all looking as alike as possible! I'm getting more and more respect for Kantha embroiderers...

Cheers,
Isabelle

Leelagovind said...

anita,iam ready to start SAL but have some doubt..if we choose any size design,is it mandatory to stitch 1/4inch(a bit less)length for each running stitch or shall we use 1/8 inch length stitch when it comes to a small design.i mean, for my 'tablet' case,i use small design approximately 12 inch full design,so what length should i take for the stitch?kindly let me know..

Leelagovind said...

dear anita
after a hard work,i have finished the 1st step of stitches and uploaded the pics of the work here..

http://leelashobbies.blogspot.in/2014/03/sal-kantha-embroidery.html

plz go through it and kindly feedback:)..